If you want your home to smell like autumn, this is the cake to make. If you want to serve afternoon tea to a vegan guest, this is the cake to make. If you want something healthy yet sweet for breakfast, this is the cake to make.
Who says a delicious cake can’t be healthy? This scrumptious Cinnamon Apple Cake is full of wonderful foods that can help keep the heart healthy AND fill the needs of that sweet tooth.
Apples: Making apples a part of your diet is a great way to help protect yourself from heart disease. Apples are filled with soluble fibers that can help reduce cholesterol-rich plaque buildup in your arteries, which can keep the heart functioning properly.
Oranges: The nutrients in oranges, such as vitamin C, potassium, and fiber, all help to strengthen the heart and can help reduce risks of heart disease.
Walnuts: A walnut’s components may contain anti-cancer properties which can help reduce risks of colon cancer and prostate cancer. This nut is yet another food that can help fight against heart disease.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup walnuts
2 small apples, grated
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 drop Cinnamon Bark essential oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat your tin with olive oil.
- Juice orange in bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Grate the apples. Set aside.
- In a different large bowl, add sugar, olive oil, and Cinnamon Bark essential oil. Mix together using a handheld or free-standing mixer.
- Add the flour mix and the orange juice to a bowl with sugar and oil alternatively and keep mixing. It’s okay if the mixture looks dry. The grated apples will provide additional moisture.
- Add the apples and the walnuts and fold in gently with a spoon until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into baking dish and bake for 45 minutes (or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed clean).
- Slice and enjoy.